Speak Your Mind

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A call to be committed to God

Are you hungry for God? 

Trying to live according to God's will can be tough. It's funny how, I don't very often find myself craving to read the bible or praying to God. What makes it the most challenging to understand is if I decide to eat right and deny myself unhealthy food, my cravings are overwhelming. Struggling with holding back from your cravings, means that you have become to dependent on what you're trying to free yourself of. Also your body could be carving certain foods, because your body is suffering from nutrient deficiencies. 

While doing research on this topic, I found an article that list the distinction between desire and craving - desire is an expression of longing, craving is an expression of neediness. Likewise to hunger is to have a strong desire or craving for. I would go as far as saying to hunger is to suffer because of a lack of. Is it possible for one to crave the word of God? And how can I experience this craving, is the question I hope comes to your mind too. I can even take it a step further and say that we should create a routine of thanking God, worshiping God, reading the bible and praying daily. In my journey of trying to get healthier, I was told that if I create a routine of eating right and exercising daily I will become so accustomed to doing right for my body, that I'd be more likely to keep it up. 

If I ever begin to backslide and don't practice in the accustomed routine, then I will crave and hunger God. Furthermore, if I seek after the things of God, He will open up my heart, eyes and mind that will cause me to want more of Him.  What a blessing we will receive if we first set our mind on pleasing, praising and knowing God. The Spirit of the LORD will rest upon me-- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the LORD as stated in Isaiah 11:2.

From this day forward my goal is to create a hunger for God that will then open my eyes and turn me from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that I may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in Him as stated in Acts 26:18.

The call to be committed to God, especially in today's day and age is to remember His commandments and His statutes, look for opportunities to do good - Galatians 6:10. Be in reverent fear of the LORD and serve Him in sincerity and truth - Joshua 24:14.  Present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. - Romans 12:1-2.   We are called as Christians to walk in the way and by the example that Jesus himself showed to us - 1 Peter 2:21. 

Scriptures of the day: 
1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually. 

Psalms 14:2 The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men To see if there are any who understand, Who seek after God.

No comments:

Post a Comment